We have a new website with a fresh range of services available. You can visit it here and let us know what you think.

In an emergency always call 999

Firearms Licensing

Please print out the forms, fill them in and send them to:

Firearms Licensing Department
Derbyshire Police Headquarters
Butterley Hall
Tel: 0300 122 8657

The telephone lines are staffed between 8:30am & 5pm Monday to Thursday, and 8:30am to 4:30pm on Fridays.

The email address is firearms.licensing@derbyshire.pnn.police.uk

Firearm and Shotgun Application Form (201)

Firearms form 201 allows you to make an application to Derbyshire Constabulary for the grant or renewal of a firearm or a shotgun certificate.

Please note: The Land/Club Permission Letter is a non-statutory form but its completion will speed up the application process. Applicants are not compelled to complete the form if they don’t wish to. If the form is not completed, Questions 13 and 14 on the Form 201 must be completed accurately, otherwise your application form may be returned.

We aim to complete all applications within 56 days from the date of receipt, subject to all the relevant information being provided at that time.

Priority will be given to renewal applications received within 28 days of the postal date of your renewal letter.

For those applications not received within 28 days it is likely that your certificate(s) will not be renewed prior to their expiry and you will therefore be required to lodge your firearms with a registered firearm dealer or another certificate holder, before your certificate(s) expire.

Any costs incurred in relation to the lodging of firearms, shotguns, Section 1 ammunition and certificated explosives will be at a certificate holder's own expense. It must be noted that any certificate holder who has not submitted their renewal application within the above time limit and who does not transfer their firearms before the expiry of their certificates(s) will be liable to prosecution and it is likely that their certificate(s) will not be renewed.    

Please download the forms below or from the right-hand-side of this page.

Visitors' Permits

An application for a visitor who wishes to possess firearms to which section 1 of the Firearms Act 1968 applies, or possess, purchase or acquire any ammunition to which that section applies whilst in Great Britain or to possess a shot gun to which section 2 of the Act applies must be made via a person resident ‘a sponsor’ in Great Britain

The only criteria to act as a sponsor is to be of good character, and it is not necessary to be a firearm or shotgun certificate holder.

We will only deal with the sponsor.

The application for the permit is made by the sponsor and should be accompanied by the appropriate fee. 

The cost of visitors' permits is:

Visitors’ permit: Individual - £20
Visitors’ permit: Group (six or more permits) - £100 

Application for a Visitors Permit Form 107 is available below.

Currently it is not possible to submit these forms electronically.

The applicant should also supply an original or a full copy of the European Firearms Pass if the permit is requested by an EEC resident or a copy of the visitor's hunting permit valid in their home country or Certificate of Good Conduct - available from the visitor's home police/sheriff department.

Applications for a Visitors Permit should be made at least 8 weeks prior to arrival in this Country. We cannot guarantee the issue of a visitors permit with less than 8 weeks’ notice.


Please check our current fees and charges list for the costs related to firearm and shotgun certification.

From April 6, 2015, the new fees are:

Certificate typeGrant or renewal of certificateTotal fee payable
Firearm certificate Grant £88
Firearm certificate Renewal £62
Shot gun certificate Grant £79.50
Shot gun certificate Renewal £49
Registered firearms dealer Grant / renewal £200
Visitors’ permit Individual £20
Visitors’ permit Group (six or more permits) £100
Co-terminous certificates Grant of both shotgun and firearm certificates £90
Co-terminous certificates Grant of a shotgun certificate /renewal of firearm certificate £90
Co-terminous certificates Renewal of a shotgun certificate /grant of a firearm certificate £90
Co-terminous certificates Renewal of both shotgun and firearm certificates £65
Game fairs Grant £13
Replacement certificate   £4
Variation (not like for like) – applicable only to firearm certificates   £20

The fees charged in respect of Home Office or Scottish Government approved shooting clubs and museums will remain at the current levels set - £84 and £200 respectively.

Payments to:

Police and Crime Commissioner for Derbyshire.


This form can be used to notify the police of the transfer of firearms and shotguns.

Transfer of a Firearm

Section 11(6) Authorities

Please complete the below form if you are applying for a section 11(6) authority to approve a site to enable persons who are not shotgun certificate holders to shoot at artificial targets (Clay Pigeon Shoots)

Notes with regard to Section 11(6) Authorities

Form 2948 - Application for a Section 11(6) Authority

Registered Firearms Dealers

Firearms form 116 allows you to make an application to Derbyshire Constabulary for the registration as a Firearms Dealer. Form 116A allows a registered firearms dealer to notify the Police of the place of a business not already entered in the register.

Form 116 - Application for registration or for new Certificate of Registration

Form 116A - Notification by an RFD of a place of business not already entered in the register.

Notes with regard to Registered Firearms Dealers

Applications to Acquire/Keep Explosives

The Explosives Regulations 2014 require a person who acquires or keeps explosives to hold an explosives certificate issued by the police in the area where they live.

An Explosives Certificate is required for explosives NOT listed in schedule 2, parts 1 and 2 of Regulation 5 of The Explosives Regulations.

An explosives certificate is a certificate certifying that the person to whom it is issued is a fit person to acquire explosives or to acquire and keep explosives.

There are, therefore, two types of Explosive Certificates:

Acquire Only

Acquire only allows a person or company to obtain named explosives, which are to be used straight away and not kept overnight.

Acquire and Keep

Acquire and keep allows a person or company to obtain named explosives and keep them in an approved storage place or manner. Explosive Certificates can be valid for up to 5 years.

Applying for an Explosives Certificate

Form ER 4a - Application for the grant of an Explosive Certificate

Form ER 4b - Application for renewal of an explosives certificate (for           Firearm/Shotguns/Re-enactment)

Form ER 4 - Application and renewal for Companies/Clubs/societies (Other than        Firearms/Shotguns/Re-enactment)

Fees for Explosives Certificates

There is not normally a charge for the issue or renewal of Explosives Certificates where no Licence for storage is required.

There is a charge where an Explosives Certificate is issued/renewed and the applicant is a Registered Firearms Dealer.

Please refer to the attached FEE’s for the correct charge. If you are in doubt please contact Firearms Licensing or the Explosives Liaison Officer.

All Cheques should be made payable to ‘Police and Crime Commissioner for Derbyshire’.

Licence for Storing Explosives

The Explosives Regulations 2014 deals with the manufacture and storage of explosives at manufacturing plants, factories and stores.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are the Licensing Authority for the storage of all explosives above 2000 Kilos. The HSE can issue exemptions in certain circumstances.

Generally the police are the Licensing Authority for all explosives up to 2000 Kilos.

Applying for an Explosive Licence for Storage

Form ER 2 - Use this form for application/renewal of an Explosives Licence (can be issued for up to 5 years but cannot be issued unless an Explosives Certificate is in force) 

Fees for Licensing for Storage

There is a fee payable for the grant and renewal of a Licence and also for the issue of an Explosives Certificate which is used in connection with a Licence.

Please refer to the attached fees for the correct charge. If you are in doubt please contact Firearms Licensing or the Explosives Liaison Officer.All Cheques should be made payable to ‘Police and Crime Commissioner for Derbyshire’. 

Home Office-Approved Shooting Clubs

Following the successful pilot project for online shooting clubs, all applications for approval (new or renewal) should be submitted directly to the Home Office via the web portal, at the link below. This applies to all clubs in England and Wales. Applications will only be accepted by the Home Office, and should no longer be sent directly to the police.

Once your application has been submitted, the Home Office we will review it to determine if it is valid and, if so, pass it to the police force, who will then make necessary enquiries before sending the application back to the Home Office for consideration. If you do not provide sufficient information and supporting evidence your application is likely to be rejected as invalid and will need to be resubmitted.

Before applying you must ensure that you fulfil the criteria as set out in the Home Office Clubs’ Criteria leaflet. Renewals presently cost £84 and are valid for 6 years. You should apply to renew your approval at least 3 months before it’s due to expire.

Click here to apply online

Air Weapons Licensing in Scotland

The Scottish Government is introducing a new licensing system for most air weapons in Scotland.

From December 31, 2016, you will generally need a visitor permit to use, possess, purchase or acquire air weapons while in Scotland. This includes buying an air weapon, someone giving one to you, or simply having an air weapon in your possession. If you already hold a valid firearm and/or shotgun licence issued in England or Wales before December 31, and you are not planning on buying a gun while in Scotland, you may not need a permit until your existing certificate expires or is renewed.

Applications for visitor permits (or full air weapon certificates) should be made to Police Scotland who will decide your application and deal with any questions you have about the process. You can download the appropriate application form from http://airweapon.scot or www.scotland.police.uk.  When complete, it should be sent to Police Scotland at:

Air Weapons Team
Police Scotland
Clyde Gateway
2 French Street
G40 4EH 

You can also get further information on air weapon licensing, including information on exemptions from the need to hold a certificate, at http://airweapon.scot/ 



Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.