Operational Support has no geographical boundaries within Derbyshire and provides specialist resources and support to our divisions and Crime Support from a central base at Ripley.
Our key sections/functions are:
- Armed response unit providing a firearms and less than lethal response to incidents of violence where the protection of the public and police officers is a priority.
- Roads policing unit who police our roads network and are the first response to injury collisions.
- Collision investigation unit with specialist scene investigators and vehicle examiners for serious and fatal collisions.
Specialist ANPR Level 2 Crime Unit (SALCU) - targeting criminals’ use of the roads. See ANPR.
Dog section who we call upon for public order and search duties.
Uniformed task force - a specialist public order support unit who assist with searches, warrants and planned operations.
- Firearms support ensures the force is trained and able to respond effectively to firearms incidents.
- Operational planning - a specialist planning and business continuity unit.
- Intelligence unit who gather intelligence and deliver intelligence-led briefings.
- Our Casualty Reduction Enforcement Support Team (CREST) is part of the Derby and Derbyshire Road Safety Partnership whose aim is to improve road safety and reduce road casualties through speed awareness and enforcement.
Contact Management also forms part of Operational Support following recent internal restructuring.