We have a new website with a fresh range of services available. You can visit it here and let us know what you think.

In an emergency always call 999

What is Hate Crime?

Have you been intimidated, harassed, victimised or abused because of who you are or what you believe in?

Hate crime is subjecting people to harassment, victimisation, intimidation or abuse because of their race, faith, religion, disability or because they are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered.

Please note that this kind of crime against lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered people is known as homophobic/transphobic crime.

The police use the following definition when recording a hate crime:

"A crime where the perpetrator's prejudice against any identifiable group of people is a factor in determining who is victimised."

This refers to any incident, which appears to be related to an individual because of who they are or what they believe in. Such incidents can be devastating to both the victim and an entire community.

At Derbyshire Constabulary we do not tolerate hate crime. We are committed to giving all victims of crime a professional and sensitive service.

Hate crime can take many forms

  • Physical attacks 
  • Harassment 
  • Threats 
  • Disputes with your neighbours 
  • People swearing at you or making abusive remarks 
  • People doing things that frighten, intimidate or distress you 
  • Bullying at school or college 
  • Arson 
  • Spitting, insulting gestures.

How to report a hate crime

You can tell us about a hate incident in several ways. You do not have to be the victim to report it. Our officers will do all they can to help you deal with what's happened to you. They can arrange to meet you at a place of your choice where you feel comfortable and safe. They work with you and provide help, including making a statement explaining what has happened.


In an emergency always dial 999.

Non emergencies

Call our central number 101.

Visit your local police enquiry office.

If you are deaf, hard-of-hearing or speech impaired, read more about the contact services we can offer you.

You can also contact the police anonymously via the Crimestoppers scheme on 0800 555 111.

We have produced posters in many languages explaining what hate crime is and how it can be reported, which can be downloaded from the Related Documents section of this page.

Stop Hate UKStop Hate Crime logo

We recognise that not everyone wants, or is able, to report hate crimes and incidents directly to the police. Therefore in Derbyshire reports and initial support and advice can be accessed via the independent charity Stop Hate UK.

Stop Hate UK operates a 24hr free phone service for victims and witnesses. Stop Hate UK is totally independent of the police and will not pass on callers details without explicit consent. If a caller wishes however, Stop Hate UK will report the incident to the police on their behalf.

Stop Hate UK can be contacted on 0800 138 1625 or if you have hearing difficulties please use Text Relay on 18001 0800 138 1625.  Stop Hate UK also have facilities for online reporting as well as via text, web forum or post. See the full range of services at www.stophateuk.org

About the True Vision Project

True Vision websiteTrue Vision is a national police campaign aimed at raising awareness of hate crime, specifically in relation to gender and sexuality, race and religion and disability.

Visit the True Vision website http://www.report-it.org.uk/

For independent help dealing with the effects of crime, read more about Victim Support.

We Stand Together

We Stand Together LogoGreater Manchester Police have launched a campaign entitled We Stand Together, an initiative promoting community cohesion and unity, celebrating diversity and making a stand against hatred & intolerance.

The initiative has been launched following recent global events which have caused concern within communities across Greater Manchester, concerns which also affect Britain as a whole. Its aim is therefore to encourage people to come together as one and celebrate their differences in order to build a safer and stronger United Kingdom.

As part of the campaign, there is also a Twitter angle, and they’re encouraging people to upload a photograph of themselves to Twitter standing with at least one other person using the hashtag #WeStandTogether along with their stated cause.

As a neighbouring force, we’re backing their campaign and supporting the message it hopes to deliver.

For more information visit www.gmp.police.uk

Derbyshire Victim Services

Derbyshire Victim Services is the commissioned provider of general victim services to those affected by crime in the Derbyshire area. If you have ever been the victim of crime, or have been affected by a crime committed against someone close to you, Derbyshire Victim Services can provide all the help and support you need. 

Their local team offers a friendly, free and confidential service to anyone living in Derbyshire. It doesn’t matter if you reported the crime to the police or not - they are here to help you with any practical advice and emotional support.

Visit the Core Derbyshire website to find out more about the services offered to victims of crime in Derbyshire.

Safe Places

Derbyshire County Council operates a 'Safe Places' scheme. These are areas in towns or communities where people with learning disabilities can go if they feel scared, threatened or are in trouble when out and about.

The venues will offer that person a temporary place of safety, and either contact the emergency services - such as the police or ambulance - or contact the number on a keep safe card.

See the Derbyshire County Council's website for more information, including where the Safe Places are in Derbyshire.

Can anyone tell I've visited these web pages?

If you are worried about someone knowing which web sites you have visited, you can take several steps to increase your safety when using the internet. Victim Support provides a practical guide to safe website usage.

The only certain way to prevent anyone finding out which web pages you have been viewing is to use a computer they do not have access to; this could be at a local library, a friend's house, or an internet cafe.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.