We have a new website with a fresh range of services available. You can visit it here and let us know what you think.

In an emergency always call 999

Cold caller advice following rogue trader incident in Staveley

Posted on 17th July 2014

Police have made a further appeal to residents to be aware of rogue traders following an incident in Staveley.

Officers were called at 1.20pm on Monday, July 14 to reports of two men, who had called at the home of an 86-year-old woman on Lime Avenue to say her guttering needed repairing.

They allegedly told the woman it would cost a small amount, but then increased the price that they charged her.

Community Safety Inspector Russ Dakin said: “Never agree to work offered by someone who calls at your home unannounced, always ask around and get a few quotes first. This will ensure you have an idea of a fair price and are more likely to find a reputable trader.

 “I would also ask residents to look out for each other, and if you think there is someone acting suspiciously and calling at homes then please contact us.”

Doorstep traders should legally provide a written form setting out a 14 day cancellation period for goods or services over £42 bought as the result of an uninvited visit.

To report any suspicious activity to the police call 101, or if you think a crime is being committed then call 999.

A trader commits a criminal offence if they fail to provide the written cancellation notice or if they make false claims about who they are or work for.

For further information and advice about rogue traders contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 08454 04 05 06.

Derbyshire Trading Standards Service can help residents find honest and reliable traders through the Trusted Trader scheme.

All the businesses who sign up to Derbyshire Trusted Trader have been checked by the trading standards team. To find a Trusted Trader in your area call 01629 533190 or visit www.derbyshire.gov.uk/trustedtrader.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.