We have a new website with a fresh range of services available. You can visit it here and let us know what you think.

In an emergency always call 999

Chesterfield motorists urged to be vigilant following catalytic converter thefts

Posted on 28th January 2015

Motorists are being urged to be on their guard following a number of catalytic converter thefts across the Chesterfield Division.

Throughout January, police have received reports of eight catalytic converter thefts in Newbold, Old Whittington, New Tupton, Langley Mill, Heanor and Alfreton.

Sometime between 5pm on Tuesday, January 20 and 4.30pm on Tuesday, January 27, offenders cut through fencing to enter a car dealership site along Station Road in Whittington Moor.

Whilst inside, thieves used tools to remove the catalytic converter from a green coloured Honda CRV.

A catalytic converter and an exhaust were also stolen from a white Mercedes Sprinter van as it was parked outside a property on Park Street in Heanor.

The incident is believed to have taken place overnight between 5.30pm on Wednesday, January 14 and 7am on Thursday, January 15.

Community Safety Inspector Russ Dakin said: “Following these incidents, I would ask motorists to park in well-lit, overlooked areas where possible and ensure that alarm systems are activated before leaving their vehicle unattended.

“Thieves would have had to get underneath the vehicle in order to remove the catalytic convertor so where possible, park in a safe location where it is difficult for the offenders to access.

“I would urge residents to remain vigilant and to report anyone acting suspiciously, especially around commercial vehicles, to us without delay as this could prevent yours or your neighbour’s vehicle from being targeted by thieves.”

Anyone with any information about the above incidents is asked to contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

To report suspicious activity in your neighbourhood, call police on 101 or 999 in an emergency.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.