Posted on 18th June 2015
Drivers in Clay Cross and North East Derbyshire are being urged to be vigilant after reports of a number of thefts from motor vehicles in the area.
Sometime on Thursday, June 11 offenders gained entry to a vehicle at a farm on Matlock Road in Walton before making off with items.
On Sunday, June 7 a vehicle on Fox Lane in Holmesfield had its window smashed before items were taken from inside.
Between Wednesday, June 3 and Sunday, June 7, police received reports of a number of similar incidents along Nottingham Drive, Chartwell Avenue, Robincroft Road and Harehill Crescent in Wingerworth and Goose Green Lane, Hallfield Gate Lane and Birkinstyle Lane in Shirland.
Drivers are being urged to follow crime prevention advice in a bid to deter this type of crime. Simple tips include:
• Not leaving items on display in vehicles;
• Removing any marks left behind by a sat-nav or other equipment holders;
• Making sure vehicles are locked and secure before they are left unattended;
• Parking in well-lit areas, or using a garage if possible;
• Reporting any suspicious activity to police by calling 101, or 999 if a crime is in progress.
For more information on vehicle safety and security visit: http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/Safety-advice/Road-Safety/Vehicle-Safety.aspx
To speak to your local Safer Neighbourhood team call 101.