Whether you are checking your emails on the go, updating your Facebook status, online banking or chatting to your friends on webcam, technology plays a big part in our everyday lives so it is important to stay safe.
That is why we have created this cybercrime and fraud hub where you can find helpful information and advice around protecting yourself both online and in the real world.
Here you will find support on a range of topics from social media security, cyber bullying, child sexual exploitation and online fraud.
- A pensioner from Derby who paid £3,500 to a romance fraudster has warned others to be wary of online conmen.
- Young people and their parents are being reminded about online safety as the High Peak Youth Engagement Team visit schools across the area.
- Online bullying, grooming and the dangers of social media are being brought to life in a thought provoking theatre show for students at secondary schools in the Derbyshire Dales.
- Received a new mobile devices, games consoles or wearable tech this Christmas? Then you need to make sure it is secure!
- More than 30 calls have been received over the past four days from people who have been targeted by a cyber scam.
Get Safe Online
GetSafeOnline.org have created the following video to highlight how our phones - and subsequently our personal information - can be hacked into.
NCA Video - #CyberChoices
The video below, produced by the NCA, uses a clever blend of humour and seriousness to highlight their message. It shows two overly naïve parents talking about their son’s skills with a computer without knowing exactly what they’re talking about, or, more crucially, what their son has actually been up to.
What is 'Money Muling'? Watch this short video to find out and get advice on how to avoid such scams.
Romance fraud is an ever-increasing scam, with Action Fraud receiving an average of one dating fraud reported every 3 hours. Read more here and watch the video below.
Useful links and contacts
Derbyshire Victim Services & Got Your Back (Young Victims Service) - call on 0800 612 6505; text “CORE” to 82055 - www.derbyshirecore.org
Childline - Call on 0800 1111
Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) – Call on 0870 000 3344 or contact via the online form - http://ceop.police.uk/contact-us
Crimestoppers – https://crimestoppers-uk.org/
Cyber Essentials - www.cyberessentials.org
Cyber Aware - www.cyberaware.gov.uk
Derbyshire Safe Guarding Children Board – Call on 01629 535716 or visit the website http://www.derbyshirescb.org.uk/
Digital Stalking - www.digital-stalking.com
Fearless - https://fearless.org/cyber-crime
Get Safe Online - https://www.getsafeonline.org/
National Stalking Helpline – Call on 0808 802 0300 or e-mail the Helpline at email@example.com
NSPCC Helpline – Call on 0800 800 500
Think U Know – http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk
Think Jessica - http://www.thinkjessica.com