We have a new website with a fresh range of services available. You can visit it here and let us know what you think.

In an emergency always call 999

Domestic Abuse

domestic violence logo

Domestic abuse is the name which is most often used to describe violence from one partner towards another; usually it is the woman who suffers but in some cases it can be the man, child or elderly parent/relative.

It can include a range of ill treatment, mental and sexual abuse as well as physical assaults.

Statistics show that it takes 33 incidents of domestic abuse before a victim reports the incident to the police, and with 17,000 reported incidents of domestic abuse every year it shows the dramatic scale of the unreported offences.

Domestic Abuse Disclosure Scheme - Clare's Law

The Domestic Abuse Disclosure Scheme - otherwise known as Clare's Law - is a scheme which allows police to disclose to individuals details of their partner’s abusive pasts.

The scheme aims to prevent men and women from becoming victims of domestic abuse.

It works in two ways:

  • A right to ask: This is where information is disclosed following a request from a member of the public. 
  • A right to know: This is where we make a decision to disclose details when we receive information to suggest a person could be at risk.

A disclosure will only be made when a request meets a strict set of criteria.

Find out more about how you can make an application for information under the scheme.

Being prepared

If you are currently living with an abusive partner it is a good idea to be prepared in case you have to leave quickly. Here are some suggestions:

1. Establish the nearest contact point to your home e.g. friends, neighbours, telephone box.

2. Always carry a list of emergency telephone numbers and keep your benefit books with  you. 

3. Try to put some money aside for taxi, bus or train fares.

4. Always keep an extra set of keys for your house and car.

5. Keep keys, money and a set of clothes for yourself and children packed in a bag (perhaps at a friend's house). 

A guide has been produced to support women who have been the victim of domestic violence, for those who are afraid to leave because of financial difficulties.

You can download this guide here as a PDF:

You can afford to leave

How to get help

In an emergency, always dial 999.

If you wish to report an incident to the police and it's not an emergency situation, phone 101.

Explain to the operator what help you need, you can also ask to see a woman police officer if you feel that you would prefer her advice.

There are people who are willing to help and will treat your enquiry in the strictest confidence.


You can also contact the 24/7 Derbyshire Domestic Abuse Helpline on 08000 198 668.

The National Domestic Violence Helpline can also be contacted on 0808 2000 247. This is run in partnership with Refuge and Women's Aid and is available 24 hours a day. There is also more information on the National Domestic Violence Helpline's website http://www.nationaldomesticviolencehelpline.org.uk/

Young people

Abuse can happen in any relationship, whether you’re 35, 85 or 15. If you are worried about abuse in your relationship, talk to someone that you trust or visit www.ok.derbyshire.gov.uk/abuse or www.thehideout.org.uk for more information.

Violence against men

In 2011/12 almost 3,500 men contacted Derbyshire police as a victim of domestic abuse. If you are a man experiencing domestic abuse in Derbyshire there is help available – contact Derbyshire Support and Advice for Men (SAM) via 08000 198 668. The www.dvmen.co.uk website also has a wealth of helpful information and ways to get advice for men in this situation.

Helping someone you know

Are you concerned about someone you know who is experiencing domestic abuse? The “Behind Closed Doors” campaign allows you to contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 to pass on your concerns.

Help for domestic violence offenders

The Respect freephone line is aimed at perpetrators of domestic violence, helping them to stop the violence and change their abusive behaviour. Call 0808 802 40 40 if you need help.

National Centre for Domestic Violence

The National Centre for Domestic Violence (NCDV) provides a free, fast emergency service to survivors of domestic violence regardless of their financial circumstances, race, gender or sexual orientation.

Thier service allows anyone to apply for an injunction within 24 hours of first contact (in most circumstances). They work in close partnership with the police, local firms of existing solicitors and other support agencies (Refuge, Women's Aid etc) to help survivors obtain speedy protection.


Female Genital Mutiliation

A helpline, specialising in responses to female genital mutilation (FGM), operates 24/7 and is be staffed by specially trained child protection helpline counsellors who can offer advice, information, and assistance to members of the public and to professionals. Counsellors can also make referrals, as appropriate, to statutory agencies and other services.

The helpline can be contacted on:

0800 028 3550 and e-mails sent to


Other sources of help and information

Asian Women's Projects

Hadhari Nari 01332 270101 
Humari Manzil 01322 270770
Muslim Women's Helpline 020 8904 8193
Muslim Sisters Haven 0800 0528714
Asian Counselling Service 020 8567 5616

Forced Marriages

Foreign Office 020 7008 0230
Heathrow Travel Care 020 8745 7495


Derby Royal Infirmary 01332 347141
Childrens Hospital 01332 340131
Chesterfield Royal Hospital 01246 277271
NHS Direct  (24 hour health advice and information service) 0845 4647

Social Services

Derby 01332 717118
Derbyshire Children's Social Care 01629 533190
Out of hours (Emergency Duty Team- EDT) 01773 728222

Child Services

Childline 0800 1111
NSPCC helpline 0800 800 500
The Space 01332 364445
Child Abuse Unit (Police) 01332 610349

Other Useful Numbers

Lesbian Gay & Bisexual 01332 349333
Derby Law Centre 01332 344557
Derby Law Society

 01332 291431

Citizens Advice Derby 01332 331849
Citizens Advice South Derby 01283 270101
Citizens Advice Derbyshire Districts

0844 375 2712 from a landline; 0300 456 8390 from a mobile

Housing Options 01332 716489
Housing Aid 01332 297611
Victim Support 01332 349956
Court Witness Service 01332 362627
Benefits Agency Derby 01332 243800
Benefits Agency B-O-T 01283 505000


Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.