We have a new website with a fresh range of services available. You can visit it here and let us know what you think.

In an emergency always call 999

Crime/Incident Contract

When a crime or incident is reported the officer that first contacts you should complete a Crime/Incident Contract with you. The contract is designed to help you and be a reminder of the discussion you had with the officer, for example it gives you:

  • The officer's name and contact details
  • The type of crime or incident reported
  • The reference number for your case
  • Things that apply or not - marked ‘yes’ or ‘no’
  • The date of your next update and the frequency and method of your later updates
  • Important advice and information to help you on the back.

If a Crime/Incident Contract is not issued by the officer, then they should send you a letter giving you written acknowledgement of your case.

Crime/Incident Contract in other languages

If you do not understand English and do not have anyone with you that can translate for you, then the officer will arrange for an interpreter to help you.

Victims’ Code of Practice 2015

The Contract helps us meet the requirements of the Victims’ Code, which includes:

  • Providing you with a written acknowledgement of your crime or incident.
  • Giving you details of key websites and information that offer support to victims of crime.
  • Making an update agreement with you to keep you informed of progress.
  • Assessing your entitlement to updates for events such as arrest, charge and bail.

How to contact the officer dealing with your case

If you have new information about your case, or if you need an update then please use your contract to get the allocated officer’s collar number and your crime or incident reference number and use one of the following options: 

  • Go to www.derbyshire.police.uk/Contact-Us and select Contact an Officer or Staff Member.
  • Call 101 to leave your message for the officer. Please allow up to a week for contact to be made as the officers work shifts and may not be on duty.

Do you need a quick answer to a general question? Then we recommend you visit the national Ask The Police web site.